Monday, March 1, 2010

Adult Conversations...

I don't know if my department head will ever really know how much I LOVE working with her! I think what makes it so enjoyable is how young at heart she acts, energetic and fun, while still being very adult and mature.

Today she said something that, in all honesty, upset me some. Now, I wasn't sure if this happened completely because of WHAT she said or because of the timing of all of it. None the less, I told her how I perceived her comment and how it upset me. She very quickly apologized (as any human being would probably do for upsetting someone) and explained what she meant by the comment. I went on to tell her WHY it upset me but that I understood where she was coming from. It was all settled in less than 5 mins. After that we were able to talk about something else and go on with our day. No dodging each other in the hall, no awkward moments in the Business Office, and no negative thoughts still lingering.

This is why I really love working with people who are older than me. They seem to communicate so much better and are able to have ADULT conversations even if the topic might be hard at first. As colleagues we have to be able to talk to each other and be honest with each other. I am NEVER afraid to give my opinion or thoughts on a subject with my department head. She knows I am still learning yet still eager to give my 2 cents. She is excited when I am motivated and have the vision to do something new, but lets me know if something is just not possible.

Anyway, today my Department Head gave me hope. Hope that some people can talk to me and vis versa about challenging topics. I need to find those people and stay near them.

1 comment:

  1. Well, thank goodness! :o) There are REAL adults in this world! And I'm not so sure it's an age thing, Sonja. Your other situation is in a drama-filled way of life you know. There is an "older person" in your life who is just as dramatic as a 16-year-old. So you have to know that age isn't always a factor.

    ReplyDelete