Friday, January 8, 2010

Another Snow Day...

When you are little you make certain memories and as you grow older you hold onto those memories and feel like that is how things are suppose to be done.

Snow Days are a very specific memory I hold in my mind as a child and a teenager. Waiting eagerly for my parents to get their phone call. Hoping that both Owensville AND Belle would be called off so that all of us could be home. Dad bringing in fire wood for the fire place. Mom and I roasting marshmallows and me eating so many my stomach started to hurt. Sometimes making cider or more often hot chocolate. Sitting around the house watching TV, a movie, or roasting marshmallows...snow days felt like holidays in my family.

Now I am in my own house experiencing my first snow days as a first year teacher. When mom got her call for Monday and then again for Thursday she called me wondering if I had school or not. When I got the call yesterday for our 3rd day off school I started thinking how much I missed spending snow days with my mom. I called my mom, knowing she had already been called off, to ask her if she wanted to come down and spend a couple snowy days together. She was unable to and I understand. The weather is still pretty bad and she had made plans of things to do around the house.

I'm realizing it is time for me to make my own memories in this house. New, Snow Day Memories! Yesterday Laurissa and I, on our day off, went to get manicures and pedicures. Correction - I bite my finger nails so I received a wonderful pedicure where Laurissa has very pretty nails and asked for a manicure. A new snow day memory.

I know Phoebe and Leo loves these snow days. Yesterday I received my call at 4:55 and I looked at Phoebe and whispered "Hey girl, I don't have school today...I get to stay home with you!" She was very excited. Then she curled up a little closer to me and went back to sleep.





I'm not sure what I will do today. Probably just pick up around the house. That job seems to never quit! Whatever it is I do...I hope to make more memories in this house.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you were a first year teacher! Congrats on being on the downward slope of the year! This is my first year as a non teacher and its weird to be home on a snow day. Because, really, its like other days, but a little different since my mom and other teacher friends are off, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss mom, too, on snow days. I even sent her a text yesterday saying, "I've missed you over the last few days...I think it's the snow!" But I also miss my little sister! :o)

    ReplyDelete